Monday, July 30, 2012

First Post. Ever.

First Post. Ever.

Ahh, feels good to do something other than development.  The life of a startup CTO with a regular full-time job is not quite as glamorous as Hollywood and Conan make it out to be.  It's a lot of laptops on the couch and unwatched Battlestar Galactica running in the background.  I actually need to rewatch a few of the episodes.  Boomer's a cylon?

This blog is how I'm going to share my experience joining a pre-capital startup on the site, and what it was like and how I kicked way too much ass at it. It's not really meant to be self-help or inspirational, though. You either work your ass off or you sit around reading people who do's articles about how they did it.  I will say this, though: I never really thought I could do it until I just jumped into it.

I'm a 27 year old developer in sunny Cincinnati, Ohio.  I write primarily Python/Django, and that makes me better than you.  I call this blog The Accidental CTO because I never intended on being a CTO.  I was happy with freelance gigs and doing client work at the agency where I'm employed.  The whole CTO thing kind of fell into my lap.  I'll get into that in a later post.

Right now, I just want to leave you with one sentiment: great things are not always built by great builders. Being the CTO and not the CEO means I report to someone and I have a team.  The team is everything.  I just happen to be the one who kicks ass at web development and gets to boss the dev contractors around.  That's definitely a perk.

I promise I'll have a post worth reading up soon.  This is kind of an ice breaker.

jdb

1 comment:

  1. /applause

    Good luck John; I look forward to reading about your journey.

    ReplyDelete